Autumn is here and we’re all enjoying its generous harvest and enchanting flavors. Your loved ones will simply love this honey apple pie, whether it is for Thanksgiving, Christmas or just a Tuesday.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 to 7 tablespoons chilled orange juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 3 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
CRUST: combine flour, honey, salt and butter in large bowl. Use your fingertips to rub in the butter and then add shortening. Mix in the 5 tablespoons of juice and toss gently with a fork. Gather the dough into a ball and divide into 2 equal parts. Flatten the dough, wrap it in plastic and chill 2 to 24 hours.
FILLING: mix apples, flour, cinnamon and cardamom with honey, butter and orange peel.
Preheat the oven at 425°F. Roll out larger dough piece on a floured surface of 13 inches, then transfer it to a 9-inch diameter glass pie dish. The second dough will be placed on a 12-inch round floured surface. Cut dough into 1/2-inch-wide strips and spoon the filling into bottom crust. Arrange 6 pastry strips evenly on top of the filling. The other 6 strips will be placed at right angles to form a lattice. The ends will be folded with overhanging dough. Bake the pie for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 350°F and bake until apples are tender, about and hour more. Transfer pie to rack and let cool for 1 hour. Bon appetite!